Tuesday, February 22, 2011

California Girl

I think of my self as sort of a California Girl.  Now I know you're wondering how does a girl from Small Town, Iowa call her self a California Girl? I'll explain:

California has been in my blood since, well, before I was even born! While my mom was pregnant with me, she visited my aunt and uncle in Riverside, California.  (Hey, that counts!) I made my first REAL trip to California to visit them when I was one.  We went to Disneyland and the beach (I'm sure I LOVED it!)  I visited my aunt and uncle at least once a year.  I made that trip flying by myself actually, when I was six.




I became a TRUE California Girl when my family and I moved to California when I was nine! My parents got a divorce shortly after we moved.  My sister and I lived with my mom and we moved a few times: Grand Terrace, Redlands, Colton. There was so much to do!  We went to Disneyland, Sea World, the beach, the mountains, Rodeo Drive (Yes, my favorite movie was Pretty Woman!) "What's your dream?  Everybody's got a dream!" Needless to say, my shopping trip was more like her first one when no one would help her because she looked like she couldn't afford anything!! You have to pretty much be a movie star to be able to afford to shop on Rodeo Drive! "Big mistake. Big. Huge. I have to go shopping now!"  



We lived in California for about six years when my mom and step dad decided to move back to Small Town, Iowa to raise us (my sister and I and a brand new baby brother!) But the California Girl doesn't end there.  My sister, brother and I would go to California to visit our step family (my aunt, uncle and family had moved back to the midwest). And my sister and I would visit my dad who still lived there.




In 2007, against my pleas, tears and fits (yes, from a 27 yr old girl!) my mom and brother moved to San Diego!  This was the first time I had ever been more than two miles from my mom! My three kids (at the time) and I spent six weeks there after she moved helping her decorate and just having fun! And while we were there, I found out that I was pregnant with my fourth child (SURPRISE!) So now that my mom lives there, I can be considered a California Girl again, right? Well, I think of my self as one!






I LOVE the beach, the sand, the water, the sun.  I am a Sun Goddess! 

I LOVE palm trees


and Flamingos

 
and Hibiscus



My kids and I go to San Diego every chance we get.  
I'd love to make myself a TRUE California Girl again but my husband's a TRUE Iowa boy!!


My brother and my kids- La Jolla, Ca

0 comments:

Post a Comment